2519 Jefferson Ave.
First Baptist of Ogden
The sanctuary at First Baptist of Ogden church in Ogden, Utah. (Deniane Kartchner photo)
The First Baptist Church is the oldest Baptist church in Weber County. Built in 1924, the structure has some Colonial flavor, mixing the various classical forms of columns, pediments and decoration. The chimes are a major feature of the building and are believed to be the only of their kind in Utah. Although the chimes are in need of repair and aren’t currently in use, fundraising efforts are underway for the needed upgrades. The first church house was built for $10,000 at Grant and 24th street. In 1915, with membership over 350 a new building was constructed on Jefferson Ave. The new building was dedicated in 1925 and continues to serve as the headquarters of the Ogden First Baptist Church.
The first permanent Baptist organization in Utah began in 1881 when Rev. Dwight Spencer, a missionary representing the American Baptist Home Mission society, came to Ogden to explore the possibility of organizing a Baptist church. On Sunday, May 22, 1881, twelve Baptists met at the Odd Fellows Hall and resolved themselves into First Baptist of Ogden.
Early photos of the first building and congregation.
On August 13, 1882, the cornerstone for a new building was laid at 24th Street and Grant Avenue. "The complete building represented an investment of $10,000. The church continued to prosper and eventually felt the need for a larger facility, so in 1919 the present site at 25th Street and Jefferson Avenue was purchased and an ambitious building program started."
The new building was completed and dedicated in 1926.
In 1919, land was purchased on 25th & Jefferson for a new building. The building was partially completed in 1923 allowing the congregation to move in before it was finished in 1925. The dedication ceremony was held in 1926. "Built in the Federal style, the church building is a distinctive part of Ogden’s Jefferson Avenue Historic District." Architects - Slack Winburn & Walter Ware, designed in the Colonial & English Paladin style. (jeffersonhistoric.ogdencity.com)
Renovations in 2019 after which the building was rededicated.
A few photos from First Baptist's history on YouTube (link below).
First Baptist celebrated their 100th anniversary.
"Enchanted as we are by the past, the lure of the future is greater....Never was the summons plainer."Forward!"
- From First Baptist of Ogden's 50th anniversary program in 1931
In 2008, New Beginnings Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), which had been sharing the church building, officially decided to join with First Baptist. Today, they worship and fellowship together.
Renovations including new front stairs were completed and the building re-dedicated.