Eccles Community Art Center
This home, constructed in 1893 for Ogden businessman James Clarence Armstrong and designed by Samuel Whitaker, is one of Utah’s largest and most accomplished examples of Queen Anne-style architecture. David and Bertha Eccles acquired the home in 1896 to create a home for themselves and their twelve children.
Born into relative poverty in Scotland, David would become one of Utah’s first multi-millionaires. Bertha Jensen Eccles moved from Denmark to Utah as a child. At her invitation, groups such as the Girl Scouts, Children’s Air Society, Drama Club, Child Culture Club, Martha Society, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, and Red Cross held meeting in the house In fact, the records of the Girl Scouts attest the first unit in Utah’s being organized at Mrs. Eccles’ home on May 15, 1920.
Remodeled in 1913 with the addition of the Prairie-style carriage house and sun porch, the house remained in the Eccles family until 1948 when the family donated the house to Weber College. it served as a dormitory and social center until the College moved to Harrison boulevard. At that time, its ownership reverted to the LDS Church. The Ogden Community Arts Council, formed in 1953, approached the Church about acquiring the house. The Church deeded it to the Council in 1959 for a community art center. In 1998, the historic buildings were carefully restored and two new buildings were added (a new dance center and administrative offices for the Ogden Symphony Ballet Association).