Weber County Heritage Foundation

Insert your HTML code here

2374 Grant Ave.

Church of the Good Shepherd

Episcopal

wchf-ogden-good-shepherd-deniane-kartchnerAMK_1685.jpg

Ogden’s Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was designed by noted English-born architect Gordon W. Lloyd. It is a “carpenter-gothic” structure with thick cut stonewalls that were quarried from Mendon, Utah and are further braced by heavy granite buttresses. The Tudor windows contain beautiful stained glass. The bell tower contains the first church bell to be rung in Ogden. It arrived around Christmas in 1878 from New York and weighs 515 pounds. Exposed timbers, carpenter gothic bargeboards and sanctuary are memorable features of this building. It has had numerous additions over the years.

On July 17, 1870, the Rev. James Lee Gillogly from New York led the first service of what would become the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in the waiting room of the Ogden Union Station.

Interior of the Church of the Good Shepherd in Ogden, Utah.

Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd with the addition of Tuttle Hall.

The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was consecrated on February 6, 1875, almost nine months after the cornerstone was laid.

"It is fitting that the Church of the Good Shepherd should be called a Memorial Church, since the church building itself and almost everything used inside have been given in memory of persons connected with the parish life."
- Thelma Ellis, author of " Our Memorials of the Church of the Good Shepherd" (1993)