Historic House Tours

North

OGDEN

Saturday, September 7th, 2019

10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

 

Tickets:

$15 in advance

$20 day of the event

One free ticket with $35 individual membership

Two free tickets with $60 family membership

SOLD OUT

We'll see you next year! Thank you!

Tickets will be available to purchase in person after August 21st at the:

Eccles Community Arts Center

2580 Jefferson Ave, Ogden

(801) 392-6935

We will start the tour and sell tickets at 9:45am at the: 

North Ogden Historic Museum

545 E. 2750 North, North Ogden

For the past 40 years, the Weber County Heritage Foundation’s annual Historic Home Tour has been re-igniting a passion for historic architecture, along with a renewed interest and appreciation for the history that shaped, influenced and built the communities of Weber County.

This year, we will be hosting the Annual House Tours in the city of North Ogden

You can tour historic homes, businesses, and a charming museum.

Proceeds benefit the North Ogden Historical Museum and other preservation projects in Weber County.

We hope you will join us in the magic that is bringing history back to life!

 

Tickets for the 2019 Fall Home Tour may be purchased via the link above,

or in person at the Eccles Community Art Center during open hours.

On the day of the tour, tickets will be sold at the tour's starting point at the North Ogden Historical Museum, starting at 9:45am.

For questions or more information, please contact Connie Cox at ccoxaprilfool@yahoo.com.  

Originally constructed as part of the military housing complex in Washington Terrace around 1942, the home was moved to North Ogden after World War II in approximately 1946.  The small, shake-sided house contained two bedrooms upstairs and one down, with two bathrooms.  Frank and Joyce McCormick were the owners, raising three boys in the home.  After a few years, a living room and garage were added to the home, and money was saved by purchasing 1500 military ammunition boxes from Tooele Army Depot to be used for the construction.  The living room addition used 190 boxes, stacked up to form walls, and saved the family over $2000.  A double garage was added on later using the remaining boxes. 

 

Joyce passed away in 1993, and Frank married Shirley Kelly in 1995.  They remodeled the home again, adding on to the back of the house.  A dining room, kitchen and bedroom extensions were added, as well as redwood decking.

 

Frank passed away in 2006, followed by Shirley in 2010.  North Ogden City purchased the home from the McCormick’s heirs, and allowed the home to become the North Ogden Historical Museum.   

545 E 2750 North
North Ogden Historical Museum
545 E 2750 North
North Ogden Historical Museum
2005 n 400 east
North Ogden Canning Co.

The North Ogden Canning Company building was constructed in 1901 on land purchased by Newman Barker for $125 from Gideon Alvord.  A company was formed to build and operate the cannery.  In 1923 the Randalls took over the operation, continuing the canning processes until 1973.  The cannery employed many local people, as well as selling the farmers’ produce, adding to the financial well-being of the area.  Workers experienced the clang of machinery, clatter of cans, an aroma of fruit, and the shrill blast of the work whistle echoing throughout the valley.

 

In 1973 the 32,000 square foot building was purchased by Lloyd Searle.  An assortment of businesses were housed in the building, including Lloyd Searle’s Heating and Air Conditioning, Bluemel Automotive Service, Michael Storey’s Plastic Supply, Chester Leete’s Auto and Body, and Frank Anderson’s Wasatch Insulation.  Others included a ceramics shop, art studios, a commercial advertising business, interior décor, and more.  The building was purchased by Shawn and Sharlene Maynard in 2002 and transformed into a unique retail center.

2005 n 400 east
North Ogden Canning Co.
2645 N 400 East
The Stump (Point of Interest)

A large cottonwood tree stump near Frank Campbell’s home near 2580 N. 400 E. was moved into place by several teams of horses and was chiseled into a giant drinking fountain in the early 1930s.  A well for the fountain was dug by George Roylance.  A sign advertising Joseph Ballif’s hamburger stand was made by Grant Huband and attached to the top. 

 

The Stump deteriorated over time, and eventually burned.  A concrete base remained, but the cold, pure spring water remained available to all to enjoy.  The land and water rights for the Centennial Park were donated by Verle and Rubie Barker.  The spring was moved to the park, and a fiberglass replica of the Stump was constructed in 1976, making it possible for all to enjoy refreshing artesian well water in a beautiful park setting.

2645 N 400 East
The Stump (Point of Interest)

The original structure at this site was a two-room brick home with a foundation of native stone and a cellar with a dirt floor, built in 1890 by John Hall Sr. (1857-1969).  In 1913 two rooms, front and back porches, and a second story were added.  Electricity, running water, and a telephone improved the home in 1916.  An indoor bathroom was added in 1927, and a second bathroom and utility room were added in 1945.  The home was struck by lightning in 1938, breaking windows and causing a small fire that was quickly extinguished.

The home was occupied by John Sr. and Annie Parrot Hall until 1915 when John Sr. constructed a new home. Their son Henry C. and his wife Amelia purchased the older home.  They resided in the home, raising five children and making their living on the land known as the Hall Fruit Farm.  The fruit packing house was built next to the home and used for many years to prepare peaches, apples, and cherries to sell.  A large cold storage room kept the fruit fresh. Henry died in 1969, followed by Amelia in 1985.  The property is still owned by the Hall family. 
 

825 e 2750 north
Hall Fruit Farm
825 E. 2750 North
Hall's Fruit Packing House

Scott W. Campbell (1861-1940) and his wife Lucinda Strong Campbell (1859-1932) built their home in 1908.  They raised three sons and purchased land for farming and orchards.  A large barn was constructed east of the home.  The two-story brick home has a full basement and a wrap-around porch.  The basement, which included a laundry room, fruit room, coal room, and two storage rooms, was accessed by a trap door on the back porch.  The main level included a master bedroom, kitchen, office, bathroom, parlor, and dining room.  Three bedrooms with walk-in closets enhance the upper level.  The parlor was later converted into living quarters for Lucinda’s mother, who lived with the family until her death in 1924.

 

The home was remodeled in 1973 by Joan (Scott and Lucinda’s granddaughter) and Lee Chambers.  Several improvements including a bathroom, storage closets, and an outside entrance to a sundeck were added by creating a dormer on the back of the home.  The home is now owned by Scott and Lucinda’s Campbell’s great-grandson and his wife.

738 E 2600 North
Campbell Home
738 E 2600 North
Campbell Home
2463 N Fruitland Drive
Nathan Barker Home

The Barkers, William Nathan (1883-1957) and Iva Bailey (1890-1984) had a sturdy home constructed in 1909 by Will Ellis and Welcome Campbell.  The kitchen in the home featured a large black wood stove with chrome trim that was kept shining bright by Iva.  Two large bins were built-in to hold flour and sugar.  The home originally had no indoor plumbing or heating.  Part of the basement was utilized as an egg incubator, with an area used to candle eggs for market.  A sink on the back porch was used to prepare chickens to be taken to the Hermitage Restaurant in Ogden Canyon.  The back porch was also where the washing machine was operated by a hired man that agitated the clothes before electricity was available.  In 1924 the back porch was divided to make a bedroom for the couple’s young boys.  Welcome additions to the home were indoor plumbing, electricity, and a telephone. 

 

The home and egg farm were passed down to their son Ray and Fern Barker.  The home remains in the family, with ownership now passed on to Ryan Barker. 

2463 N Fruitland Drive
Nathan Barker Home
2387 N Fruitland Drive
Henry Barker Home

In 1869, Henry Barker (1840-1918) and Marguerite (Margaret) Stalle` (1850-1938) constructed the first fired-brick home in North Ogden.  The bricks were made on the Barker farm.  The home originally consisted of six rooms, but due to faulty construction two downstairs rooms were demolished and four new rooms were added in their place in 1879.  The home’s walls are three-bricks thick.  Two large porches enhance the eight-room two-story home.  After Henry and Margaret moved, the house was divided into a duplex and rented out to farm workers. 

 

The home was remodeled in 1945 to expose the inside brick walls.  A furnace, bathroom, and kitchen cabinets were added, but the outside of the home remains original.  Henry’s grandson, Max and his wife Marianne Barker now own the home.

2463 N Fruitland Drive
Henry Barker House
360 E Elberta Drive
Roylance Barn/Kinney Home

In 1886, a large, two-story barn was constructed by Hyrum (1845-1914) and Isabella (1844-1895) Roylance.  Their son William (1875-1943) then lived in the home and managed the farm.

After William passed away, his wife Ida (1884-1961) sold the barn and five acres of land to David Moroni (1911-1985) and his wife Elva Winn Brown (1908-1976) in 1950.  Originally, the barn was used for milking cows on the first level with hay stored in the upper level.

 

David and Elva began to transform the barn into a home to raise their family of four girls.  The ground level was renovated into living quarters in 1950 with the upper level converted in 1958.  The roof and upper two feet of the barn were removed in order to finish the top level.  The rock walls of the structure are two-feet thick, making the home’s insulation very efficient.

The Brown’s daughter, Leah and her husband Jeff Kinney have also raised their family there and still reside in the solidly-built home.

360 E Elberta Drive
Roylance Barn
584 east 2650 north
Hadley Home

Samuel Hadley (1872-1953) and Mary Diana Waldram (1880-1966) married in 1899 and, around 1904, purchased this property with an old house. They replaced it in 1918 with the existing house to accommodate their growing family: a daughter who only lived six months, and five sons, one of whom died of pneumonia at age 15. Like many homes in those days, they had no heating, electricity, or running water.

The 1-1/2 story brick house has a full-width porch with square posts supporting an entablature with eave brackets. Tripartite windows with leaded glass accents flank the central entry. Two sons slept on a screened porch at the back of the house, which the youngest son later converted into an apartment where he and his family lived while taking care of his mother until her death in 1966. Hip-roofed dormers provide light and ventilation to the attic level, which was remodeled into three bedrooms and two bathrooms. A fruit storage room under the home filled with water during wet winters, requiring the later installation of a sump pump.

The Hadleys developed a fine market in Ogden for the raspberries, blackberries, and dewberries grown on their land. The parents and children began picking berries at 4 a.m. with summer workdays extending from daybreak to dark. Diana canned fruit and berries for winter use and made most of the clothing for the family. She also learned hat-making skills from her Grandmother Dudman. Samuel worked in the clothing department at the J.C. Penney Company and at the Ogden Transit Company at night, leaving daytime hours open for his and Diana’s successful fruit production operation.

584 East 2650 North
Hadley Home

Photos by Carolyn S. Jacobson