Devil's Gate - Weber Hydroelectric Power Plant

Intersection of I-84 and US 89

Weber County Heritage Foundation | Deniane Kartchner

Early History

In 1888, a small group of Swedish immigrants started meeting for fellowship and informal worship services in Hannah Lund's parlor in the Five Points area of Ogden, Utah. This gathering eventually led to the building of Elim Lutheran Church, the second oldest Lutheran congregation in Utah. "By October 10 of that year, these few were joined by Pastor Frans August Linder and his family who was dispatched by the Scandanavian Lutheran Augustana Synod in North America. Before the year was old, the fledgling congregation had received the deed to a lot on the corner of 23rd and Jefferson where the present church is still located...The congregation was formally organized on December 8, 1889, when the names of the charter members were entered in the church register." (Elim History)

wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture-6594.jpg
wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture--2.jpg
Interior and exterior photographs of the "old" white building, torn down after the new brick building went into service in 1949. The altar painting by Swedish painter G.N. Malm hangs in the north stairwell reminding congregants of their Swedish roots. The original cross that once hung over the entrance can now be found in a display case. 
The_Ogden_Standard_Sat__Feb_6__1915_.jpg
 

Early History

The Devil's Gate-Weber Hydroelectric Power Plant was built in 1910 on the Weber River in northeastern Utah about 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Ogden. It was built by the Utah Light and Railway Company under the direction of E.H. Harriman, a director of the Union Pacific Railroad. It was one of the first powerplants in Utah designed to feed an electrical grid rather than as a source of power of a single locality.[2]

wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture-6594.jpg
wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture--2.jpg
Interior and exterior photographs of the "old" white building, torn down after the new brick building went into service in 1949. The altar painting by Swedish painter G.N. Malm hangs in the north stairwell reminding congregants of their Swedish roots. The original cross that once hung over the entrance can now be found in a display case. 
The_Ogden_Standard_Sat__Feb_6__1915_.jpg
 

Architecture

The Elim Lutheran Church is a unique “Modified Gothic” church built in 1948 by the congregation under the supervision of Larson Construction and Engineering Co. Three buildings at the former General Defense Depot of Ogden, (now Business Depot Ogden) were purchased, dismantled and their materials salvaged to build the church.  Congregants donated 10,000 hours of labor to salvage materials, including cleaning an estimated 60,000 bricks to build their new home. An agreement with a local brickyard allowed the church to keep one brick for every two they cleaned. The timbers in the building's walls were salvaged from the old prisoner of war barracks. (Elim History)

wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture-6606.jpg
Exterior view of Elim Lutheran Church before the original church was torn down and the steeple added. 1948.
elim plans.PNG
Architect's rendering of the "new" Elim Lutheran Church, provided by Louise Cole. 
The_Ogden_Standard_Examiner_Sun__Mar_20__1949_.jpg
 
wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture-6593.jpg
Interior views of Elim Lutheran Church from 1949  - 1963. 
wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture-.jpg
wchf-deniane-kartchner-religious-architecture-.jpg
The_Ogden_Standard_Examiner_Sun__Mar_20__1949_ (1).jpg

Links:

National Register of Historic Places (1989)

 
 

Links

Elim Timeline

Elim History PDF Download

Construction & Dedication of the 1963 Wing Video

Pastor Dalberg Memoir "Crossing Borders"