0719161128

The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum is housed in what is known as the Relief Society Building. The building was commissioned by Brigham Young in 1877 and paid for with funds raised by the Relief Society sisters, who saved their money from the sale of eggs and butter to pay for its construction. The Relief Society building was dedicated on July 19, 1902 and is the only Stake Relief Society hall that is known to have been constructed by the LDS Church. It quickly became the meeting place for festivals, plays, concerts, dances, etc. The Relief Society building is designed in the classic gothic style; it was constructed of red brick, which was manufactured in Weber County. It was originally located within what is now Tabernacle Square in Ogden but was moved in order to accommodate the expansion of the LDS Temple. On January 24, 2012, the 600-ton building was re-located to a half-acre of land that was donated by Ogden City on the corner of Lincoln Avenue and 21st Street. This Herculean feat was accomplished with the use of a remote-controlled dolly that rested on 136 tires. Once the museum was lowered onto its new foundation, the restoration process began. The Weber County Heritage Foundation was proud to have contributed to the effort. The foundation donated $5,000 to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers in 2012 for the purpose of improving the displays in the museum.